1. Exit the tram and enter the lift on the right to rise to the upper level.
2. Climb the pillar and take the basketball. You'll want it for an Easter egg later in the game.
3. Directly across from the lift is this UNN training lobby.
4. In basic training you'll learn movement and inventory skills. Note the basketball in my inventory.
5. In advanced training you'll have three specialties that correspond to the three career choices about to be offered to you. Psi = OSA, Technical = Navy, Weapon = Marine.
6. In Psi training you'll learn how to use the Black Ops Psionic Amplifier.
7. In Technical training you'll learn how to hack and use System Shock 2's vending machines.
8. In Weapon training you'll learn the use and repair of two pistols, plus how to use energy recharging stations.
9. Exit through this door and continue to the shuttle bays to choose a career.
10. Enter the shuttle bay of your choice. OSA offers a broad array of utility skills. Navy is for those who wish to focus on computer hacking and Marines is for those who wish to create a more traditional FPS-style character. I'm choosing OSA.
11. Follow the "Mission Postings" signs.
12. Time to develop your character's starting stats. While most RPGs have you pick starting stats from a menu, System Shock 2 has you choose from three sets of three doors, each leading you to a year of individualized training. I'll be spending the next year aboard the TOS Ru Nang's sensory deprivation tanks to pick up Cryokenesis and Kinetic Redirection. These are the two skills covered in the Psi training earlier.
13. Next, you'll make your choice for year two. Here I choose to pick up 2 points in psionic ability.
14. Now in year three, take a look through the window to your left to spot a robot doing the Macarena.
15. Time to make the final choice. The narrations for each of these choices are more entertaining than informative. Look to the text description to learn exactly what benefit will be gained from that particular path. Here, I choose Physical Field Operations to pick up Remote Electron Tampering, which will enable me to reduce alarm duration.