1. The opening cutscene is a winner, for sure. A terrorist with a nanite detonator destroys the Tarsus Academy in Chicago. Well, actually, all of Chicago is destroyed!
2. You and the other students are safely whisked away to the Seattle Tarsus Academy.
3. Next, select your difficulty, interface color and portrait. This walkthrough is played at the "Realistic" difficulty setting.
4. You begin in your dorm room at the Seattle Tarsus Academy. Grab the binoculars from the shelf ahead and check the chest lower-right for a map of the Seattle Tarsus Complex.
5. Instead of a tutorial, instructional notes like this will guide you through the user interface (UI).
6. Take a moment to appreciate the view from your window. Now is also a good time to customize graphics/sound and control options. These options are saved as part of your "Saved Games" and will revert to their original settings if you re-start your game.
7. Approach this holocomm unit to receive a message from Academy director Leila Nassif.
8. Dr. Nassif briefs you on the current situation and instructs you to check with classmate Billie Adams in apartment 454. The door behind you opens and you feel the ground tremble -- nothing to worry about you are told.
9. Take a look around the apartment. This data cube holds a note from Billie in room 454.
10. Leave the apartment and step into the hallway. This explosion to your left kills the SSC guard.
11. Talk to the nearby janitor. The death of the guard has him pretty shaken up.
12. Here is your objective -- Billie's residence, apartment 454. Select (default right-mouse) the intercom and Billie will let you in.
13. Talk to Billie. She gives you the elevator code and your next objective -- talk to Dr. Nassif in recreation.
14. Select the public terminal to learn the latest news. Proceed toward the elevator visible in the background.
15. Talk to the guard before selecting the indicated keypad. You will automatically enter the key code given to you by Billie earlier.
16. Note the authentic elevator music inside the lift. Select this keypad to ride the elevator to recreation.
17. Approach this window to speak with Leila Nassif. She gives you two more objectives: meet Klara and meet Leo.
18. Continue down the hallway and speak to Klara. She doesn't seem too concerned about the tremors.
19. You'll find Leo Jankowski on the nearby running track. The dialogue options you have here are of little consequence.
20. Following your conversation with Leo, the facility comes under attack. Dr. Nassif directs you to your equipment locker. You can take the stairs in the hallway or just jump over the railing as seen here. The locker room is directly ahead.
21. Inside Leo's locker are two ammo clips and some food. Inside your locker (Alex) is a pistol, a baton, a multitool and a medkit. After you open your locker, the facility's power is cut and Dr. Nassif directs all students to evacuate via the elevator in her office.
22. Klara and Billie's lockers are locked. You can use your multitool to open either of them, but not both. Inside Klara's locker is an ammo clip and an energy cell. Inside Billie's locker is a spider bomb and a pack of cigarettes. Note that multitools in DX:IW serve double-duty as lockpicks and are very valuable. My preference here is to save the multitool.
23. Talk to this guard. It's time to make your first real decision. Like my Deus Ex walkthrough, this walkthrough will be taking a pacifist approach. After first selecting the dialogue option, "Any more pointers?" I choose, "Okay, I'll get out without being seen."
24. Crouch to avoid being seen as you head for the indicated doorway. Use the pillars for cover.
25. Ascend the stairs and talk to Billie. Time for your first conspiracy. Billie tells you to grab whatever biomods you can and check your apartment for proof of Tarsus' treachery.
26. Ride the elevator back to Tarsus apartments. Next to the fallen guard is a stun prod, an ammo clip, a pistol and a flash bomb.
27. Talk to the SSC guard ahead. If you respond, "Do whatever you want..." he will kill the Seeker up ahead. We're going for a no-kill scenario, so respond as indicated. Follow Billie's advice and proceed into apartment 453.
28. Here's the vent that Billie told you about. Before entering, grab the EMP grenade beside the bed, and check the chest to the left for 100 credits, a combat knife and an ammo clip.
29. Swipe this multitool on the right before advancing through the grate on the left.
30. Once inside the next apartment, you'll find another multitool on this counter.
31. Continue past this door on the right, careful to avoid the Seeker patrolling outside.
32. Spot another multitool to the right of this chest. Inside the chest is a medkit and a concussion proximity mine.
33. This holocomm unit has a message from Dr. Nassif.
34. Exit to the hallway. Here I bring down the Seeker non-lethally with the stun prod. He'll drop an ammo clip and a pistol.
35. Re-enter your apartment, 451.
36. Billie has a bit of a surprise in store for you.
37. It's a duck blind! Just like the opening of Star Trek:Insurrection, and STTNG: Who Watches the Watchers.
38. You can climb up the wall in the kitchen (default: press and hold 'h') to reach this ledge where you'll find a boltcaster.
39. Proceed through this hole in the shower.
40. Climb over the wall to the biomaterials laboratory.
41. Approach these biomod canisters and Dr. Nassif explains their function.
42. The biomod system in DX:IW is significantly different than in Deus Ex, and I found it to be confusing at first. There is no distinction any more between an augmentation canister and an augmentation upgrade canister. The same biomod canister can be used to install a new ability or to upgrade an existing one. Each of the five available slots on the right has three modifications that can fit -- two standard (blue) modifications plus a single (red) black market modification. Also, biomods can now be uninstalled in case you change your mind. I chose to use these three canisters to implement the Cloak, Biotox Attack Drone and Speed Enhancement modifications.
43. Now that your biomods are installed, you can activate your light to see better (default F1). Grab the multitool from this counter and read the three data cubes to learn more about biomods. A fourth data cube can be found adjacent to the nearby holocomm unit.
44. Pass through the doorway and speak with this scientist. She cautions that the camera ahead will target the turret on you.
45. Avoiding this camera is very easy. Just wait until it is pointing to the right, then dart up the stairs. For an extra challenge, grab the energy cell where indicated. You can use the other crates for cover. Once upstairs, continue avoiding the camera as it can still spot you through the glass.
46. Talk to these scientists at the top of the stairs. You receive a new goal - protect them from a new wave of terrorists.
47. Here's your first real challenge as a pacifist player. My suggestion is to cloak, equip your stun prod, and wait in ambush for the two seekers.
48. Return to this scientist and receive a silencer as your reward.
49. Speak with both scientists repeatedly to learn as much as you can. Just as in the original Deus Ex, NPCs will often divulge more information if you speak to them multiple times.
50. Continue down the corridor to this scientist, who needs you to find a way around the gold laser beams ahead. Gold beams slice flesh, red beams trip alarms, and green beams trigger gas bombs.
51. Grab the ammo clip from this cabinet. The data cube above holds some background on the Dentons.
52. Don't miss this multitool.
53. Use a multitool to unlock this cabinet holding your first black market biomod. You'll also find a medkit inside. Above is a data cube with some information on black market biomods.
54. Here I use the black market canister to install the Spy Drone augmentation, which can be used both for recon and to disable bots/cameras/turrets with its EMP attack. A level 3 spy drone will knock its victims unconscious.
55. Bypassing the gold beams (for free) is as simple as sliding this barrel out of the way and entering the vent beyond. Grab the multitool waiting for you inside.
56. Upstairs you'll find this cabinet where you can trade a multitool for 100 credits and an energy cell.
57. Return back down the stairs and proceed through the door straight ahead.
58. As ominous as this looks, it's actually friendly. Meet your first medbot.
59. Activate your cloak before proceeding through this doorway -- two seekers patrol here.
60. A camera will spot you and you may be heard, but as long as you stay cloaked you'll remain safe. Grab this multitool.
61. Unfortunately, the neural interface required for hacking is mutually exclusive to the cloak. For the hackers out there, here is your security computer terminal.
62. Make your way up these stairs.
63. Follow the EXIT signs and Lin-May Chen of the Order messages you. She gives you a new goal: visit the Order church in Lower Seattle.
64. Take the elevator to Upper Seattle to end the level.